|Position:||Fundraising and Beneficiary Assistant|
|Reports to:||Operations Director|
|Working hours:||9-5pm Monday – Friday|
|Employment type:||Full Time 6 months contract with a possibility of extension|
|Salary:||£10.55 per hour|
Helping Households Under Great Stress (HHUGS) is the only UK registered charity of its kind providing assistance to Muslim households impacted by counter-terrorism, national security and extremism-related laws, policies and procedures, in the UK and abroad, We strive to bring relief and support to households devastated by anti-terror raids by offering friendship in addition to emotional, financial, and practical support, advice and information through a country-wide network of dedicated volunteers. Since its inception in 2004, HHUGS has been a beacon of light to families struggling to survive in the shadows of society. HHUGS aims to provide the crucial emotional and moral support and practical skills necessary to empower these hidden victims to re-emerge from the darkness as confident individuals and full members of society.
The role of the Fundraising and Beneficiary Assistant is to assist the HHUGS’ team in their work by providing ad hoc support wherever it is required. The team is going through a transitional phase with the recruitment of new staff members. It is also a busy time for the fundraising team with the busiest time for all Muslim charities – Ramadhan – coming up.
This list is not exhaustive and the post holder may be called upon for other tasks if and when required, to ensure the smooth operation of the team and its work.
- General office support
- Manage office filing systems, both paper and electronic, personnel records and all other filing related to the general running of the charity.
- Managing post
- Managing incoming queries by phone and email
- Processing invoices
- Ordering stationary/merchandise, liaising with printers
- Post leaflets and print material and merchandise to volunteers
- Liaise and negotiate with and sourcing suppliers, including stationery, business cards, promotional materials, standing order forms, merchandise, leaflets, etc.
- Event Organisation and Fundraising Support
- Assist the organisation of events and fundraising activities, donation campaigns, event stalls
- Contact mosques to secure collections for the month of Ramadhan
- Participate in mosque collections and, where required, deliver a brief fundraising appeal.
- Record, follow up and file events pledges
- Assist in the production of fundraising campaign/event promotional material
- Count collections, and deposit cash donations and cheques
- Assisting with social media management – Facebook, Twitter, Hoot Suite, Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat, forums
- Drafting social media statuses and SMS messages for fundraising and marketing campaigns
- Procuring sponsors
- Provide fundraising support to volunteers who have registered for fundraising
- Beneficiary Support
- Supporting the Beneficiary Coordinator during seasonal projects
- Transcribing beneficiary interviews from audio
- Preparing interview questions for beneficiaries for marketing purposes
- Ensure data is cleansed and accurate in our internal databases
- Researching information for beneficiary case files
- Calling beneficiaries to provide emotional/social support
- Support the organisation of social events for beneficiaries and recreational activities for the youth.
- Liaise with mentors and mentees as part of our youth mentoring programme
- Maintain accurate and up to date records and case files
- Conduct interviews and surveys with the beneficiaries to identify gaps in the current support programme and any required improvements.
- Donation Processing
- Calling donors as part of our Ramadhan campaign to encourage them to donate and taking card payments by phone
- Ensure all incoming donations and related queries are processed and acknowledged in a timely manner within agreed standards.
- Record details of all donations and ensure the related filing systems are maintained.
- Maintain the donor database to record donor contact and preference information.
- Generate thank you letters, certificates of thanks to organisations and mosques, donation receipts, and circulate appeals.
- Ensure Gift Aid is claimed on all donations where applicable.
- General Volunteer Coordination
- Recruit volunteers from the database for fundraising challenges, mosque collections, leaflet distribution, and office donation calls.
- Processing volunteer applications
- Scheduling and conducting interviews
- Requesting referee information, liaising with referees to complete reference checks.
- Maintain accurate and up to date volunteer records.
- Respond to offers of assistance from potential volunteers
- Liaise with volunteers to support them in their role.
- Finance Support
- Process and file expense claim forms for volunteers
- Liaise with the Finance Manager to ensure reimbursements are made
- Ensure any invoices received by post or email are processed by the Finance Manager and filed.
· Degree in an appropriate field
· Experience of working in a customer focused environment
· Experience of using an in house database system
· Relevant experience in the charity, community, voluntary sector
· Experience of fundraising
· Experience of Mosques collections and able to gain partnership
· Finance experience
· Experience of working for the vulnerable families and individuals
Skills & Knowledge
· Accurate data entry skills and attention to detail
· Ability to work independently with efficiency, initiative and minimal supervision
· Effective written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to handle routine tasks
· Proven organisational and planning skills
· Good IT skills Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
· Ability to meet tight deadlines
· A good team player with the ability to work using own initiative and take instructions
· Good numerical skills
· Ability to speak another language-Preferred languages: Arabic, Bengali, Urdu, Hindi
· Highly motivated
· Patience and empathy
· Understanding of confidentiality issues and data protection
· Commitment to equality and diversity practice
· Commitment to working within HHUGS’s core values and prioritizing the needs of the beneficiaries HHUGS works for
· Broad knowledge, empathy and understanding of Islamic principles
· Commitment to continuous professional development and will to undertake further skills training as appropriate
· Knowledge and interest in human rights issues
The post holder must be legally entitled to work in the UK, with no contra-indications in personal background or criminal record indicating the unsuitability to work with children, youth, vulnerable clients and finance. A DBS check may be required as appropriate.
The post holder will undertake any other duties of a similar nature, which are commensurate with the grade and seniority of the post.
Please send a copy of your CV with an attached cover letter inclusive of contact details of two references to [email protected] Please indicate “Fundraising and Beneficiary Assistant” and your name in the subject heading.