Five miles towards warmer homes and hearts this Winter.
|LONDON||Sunday 9th February 2020, 11am||Register|
Calling all brave souls and generous hearts: wrap up warm, defy the wintry chills and don your best walking shoes to take on our 5 mile challenge, Walking in Their Shoes, in aid of some of the UK’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged families.
Now in its sixth year, the annual HHUGS Winter Walk is back! 2020 sees us return to the heart of central London, Hyde Park.
This year, with a record number of arrests, a growing number of affected families and rising poverty in the UK, we want our sixth Annual Winter Walk to be bigger and better than ever! Every step you take on the day is critical to provide vulnerable families with the support they desperately need in this trying winter period. So bring friends and family a long, strap up your walking boots and join us for a five mile walk and an enjoyable day out for all the family.
The fruit of your footsteps-
For the past six years, we have come together to brave the winter chill, all in aid of the hundreds of families impacted by counter-terror measures.. Through your amazing efforts you have:
- Provided warm clothing for hundreds of children growing up without a father
- Provided duvets and blankets to protect families from the night’s chill
- Kept families warm by paying for gas and heating bills for those unable to cover basic costs
- Sheltered families through the harsh winter by covering their rent
What is the Walking in their Shoes Challenge? Where is it happening?
It is a stunning 5 mile Winter Walk taking place across 3 major cities. This is in support of the families impacted by counter terror measures to stay warm, healthy and safe this winter.
The London walk will be taking place in Hyde Park, one of the greatest city parks in the world. Covering 142 hectares (350 acres) and with over 4,000 trees, a large lake, a meadow and ornamental flower gardens, there’s a good chance you’ll forget you are right in the centre of London.
How do I get there?
Hyde Park is very accessible by tube and buses and there are car parking facilities available nearby.
The postcode for the park is W2 2UH. The postcode is for guidance only as the park covers a large area.
By Tube/ Train
Nearest tube stations: Hyde Park Corner served by the Piccadilly line.
Green Park served by the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria Line
Bus routes: 9, 10, 52 all stops near Queen Elizabeth Gate
Who can take part in the Winter Walk?
Absolutely anyone who is fit and able to walk can participate in our winter walk. Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The event is open to both individuals and groups, so please invite your friends, families, neighbours and colleagues to join you. If you’re part of a Scout, youth group or school why not get your colleagues involved?
How fit do I need to be?
You will be walking 5 miles around a public park for 2 – 3.5 hours. People of all fitness levels are welcome to the challenge, and hence why people are willing to sponsor you to do the walk. If you have any medical conditions, please consult your doctor before you register for the walk.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable footwear (walking boots or trainers are advisable), warm and waterproof clothing.
Are the walking routes difficult?
The routes are generally gentle to stroll through and trouble-free. Risk assessments have been conducted and stewards will be informed on the day of any spots which require attention.
How would I know what route to take? And what if I get lost or injured along during the Walk?
Prior to the walk, we will have a group event briefing and you will receive a route map with details of what to do in the unlikely event of getting lost and injured. There will also be HHUGS volunteers and qualified First Aid representatives to help you along your walk.
What should I bring with me?
Bring a water proof jacket and/or umbrella, a water bottle and a fully charged mobile phone. Lunch will be provided during the walk.
What do I do when I arrive to the event?
Upon arrival, you will need to register at the Registration Desk in the in the Kingston Gate Car Park/ Riverside Car Park. There you will be issued with a map of the route and other items.
My family are not participating, but can they come to the Winter Walk?
Of course your family can come! This is a family event; their support will encourage your participation, and it would be great to see them waiting for you at the finishing point. There are facilities for your family and friends to enjoy, while they wait for you to complete your walk.
· Serpentine kitchen
· Lido café
How much do I need to fundraise?
We ask each adult participant to pay £10 and each child (12 and under) to pay £5 for a registration fee (which includes light refreshments). Under 3s are free.
We ask all participants to fundraise an additional £150. We are confident however that with a little effort, participants can easily raise far more than the minimum £150 target!
Is there a deadline to pay the registration fee?
Yes, your registration fee must reach us by the following dates:
LONDON: Sunday 9th February 2019, 10.59pm
I have never fundraised before, where do I start?
Check out our Fundraising Tips to start you off.
I cannot make it to London, can I organise my own Walking in Their Shoes Event?
Of course you can! You are most welcome to organise your own walk with friends, families and colleagues or even by yourself!
Please contact us so we can advise you thus you can have a safe and enjoyable walk for HHUGS. There will be no registration fee in this case. We can still create a crowdfunding page for you if required.
Alternatively, if walking isn’t for you but you’d still like to fundraise, why not take part in our Warmer Winter Challenge? Take up the challenge to raise just £3.33 a day this winter to keep the hearth alight in the home of a HHUGS family. This is a challenge you can complete from the comfort of your own home, without having to worry about taking time off work or arranging childcare. It’s as simple as sharing a post or message via email or over social media -something all of us do several times a day, every day. For less than the cost of a meal deal lunch, you could be saving a life this winter.
To spice things up a bit and give friends and family a bigger incentive to donate, you may wish to set yourself an additional challenge. These could involve making lifestyle changes that will help you get a better understanding of what a HHUGS family is facing this winter. Some popular options include:
* Committing to live on cold food for a week
* Committing to live without central heating for three days
* Committing to live by candle light for a week
* Camping outdoors in your garden for one night
Click here to learn more about our Warmer Winter Challenge
Will there be an area to perform prayer?
Yes, we will set up a prayer area and ablution can be performed in the WC facilities in the park.
Is this event suitable for children?
Yes, the Hyde Park walk is suitable for children. However, if your child suffers from any health problems, please consult your doctor before you register for the walk.
How will the money I raise be utilised?
The money raised will go towards the cost of winter bills as well as vouchers for warm clothing for our families, as part of our WARM HHUGS Winter campaign. Please visit our website for more details.
There are many ways to fundraise and when you sign up to the Winter Walk, we will share our great ideas and we are always at hand to give you further support.
Fundraising pages are just like paper sponsorship forms, except they’re online, so you don’t have to worry about dealing with cash, cheques and chasing sponsors after the event is finished. Or why not create your own fundraising team to help you spread the word!
To create your page
- Visit www.justgiving.com, www.muslimgiving.com or btmydonate.com or Charity Choice
- Click on Make Your Page
- Search and select HHUGS
- Follow the simple step-by-step instructions
- Share it with others easily via email, Facebook, Twitter, text.
- If you’ve chosen to use Justgiving, why not set up a text code too so that your friends and family can donate towards your walk with a simple SMS?! Follow this link for instructions https://justgiving.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200669481-Setting-up-your-text-code
- Once you have made your page don’t forget to send us the link by emailing [email protected]
- Contact your local mosque or circle to support you by making an announcement of the event and help you to fundraise.
- Get your fundraising matched by a colleague, workplace or friend
- Distribute leaflets to raise awareness amongst family and friends
- Contact your local press and radio stations with your fundraising
- Visit your local businesses for their support by asking them to sponsor you
- We will send you a Charity Collection Penny Box which you can place at home or work and even at the till of a shop, restaurant, café or library.
- Get your ISOC, School, Scouts groups and others to get involved.
- Use our Sponsorship Form to help you raise funds
- Use Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp to promote your walk, through status updates, posting photos during the walk, making videos, sending messages and creating groups and event pages to encourage others to attend!
- Break your target down into smaller amounts – e.g. 15 friends to give £10 and you’ve hit your target in no time!
- If that doesn’t work for you try daily targets on social media e.g. help me reach £10 today (5 people to give £2 via text); weekly ones e.g. £25 a week – in six weeks you will have reached your target.
- Use the images we send you to promote your walk and fundraising on your own social media page and on WhatsApp.
UK taxpayers can make their donation go further. The government will give a further 25% of your donation to the charity, and it doesn’t cost you or your sponsors a thing. So remind all your tax paying sponsors to tick the gift aid box – this includes those who are giving cash or cheques if they are using the sponsorship form.
Without a declaration, we won’t be able to claim the Gift Aid on donations towards your sponsorship!
Remember, HHUGS are here to help by sending you leaflets, collection buckets and sponsorship forms so you can kick-start your fundraising!
How to send your sponsorship money to us:
Your own fundraising pages
If you have set up your own page, please send us the website address. Thereafter, there isn’t anything further you need to do as your donation page will transfer the money directly to HHUGS bank account on a weekly basis.
Our JustGiving Team Page
You can also donate on the official HHUGS Winter Walk Event Page with ‘Winter Walk [Your Name]’ as a reference.
Cheque or Postal Order
Cheque or Postal Orders should be made payable to ‘HHUGS’ with reference ‘Winter Walk [Your Name]’ and sent to: HHUGS, Office 36, 80-90 Hatton Garden, London EC1N 8PN
Al Rayan Bank
Sort Code: 30-00-83
Account number: 01269701
with the reference ‘Winter Walk [Your Name]’
Call us on 0207 733 2104 during working hours to pay your sponsorship by card. Pay online via our website www.hhugs.org.uk/donate
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Pre-event registration is essential.
- You must undertake to raise a minimum of £150 in sponsorship money for HHUGS in London.
- A registration fee of £10 for adults and £5 for children under 13 needs to be paid by Sunday 9th February for London.
- All funds raised through the event must be payable to HHUGS.
- If you are unable to take up your place for the Winter Walk, all sponsorship forms and sponsorship monies collected should be forwarded to HHUGS or returned to your sponsors.
- Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants take part at their own risk. If you have any medical conditions, please seek advice from your GP before embarking on this Winter Walk.
- We reserve the right to stop any participant from walking for health and safety reasons, or due to any incident of misbehaviour.
- You consent to HHUGS contacting you via telephone, letter or e-mail for any matter relating to your fundraising and your participation in this event.
- You agree to HHUGS storing information provided by you on our database.
- HHUGS discourages aggressive techniques to gain sponsorship and requests all fundraisers to ensure compliance with legal, health and safety standards.